Vanilla extract tastes and smells amazing. It can be used in many recipes, such as, homemade yogurt and bulletproof coffee. Unfortunately, store bought “pure” vanilla extract can contain GMO corn syrup, sugar, and other unhealthy additives. There is also a big difference between “pure” vanilla extract and “imitation” vanilla which usually contains:
“Water, Alcohol (26%), Natural Flavorings (Including Extractives Of Cocoa And Extractives Of Tea), Vanillin And Other Artificial Flavorings, Corn Syrup, And Caramel Color”
Non of these ingredients are ones that we should be putting in our bodies. By making homemade vanilla extract, you can have a healthy, tasty alternative. And it’s super easy, you just need to plan ahead because it takes a long time to fully extract the flavor from the beans.
- 8 oz. Non-GMO vodka, brandy, bourbon, or rum
- 8 Vanilla Beans
- Tall glass jar
- Slice vanilla beans in half lengthwise to reveal inside of beans.
- Place them in a tall glass jar. Cut shorter if needed to fit in jar.
- Pour the alcohol over the beans.
- Cover tightly and gently shake.
- Store in a cool, dark place for 6-8 weeks, shaking occasionally. Leave 2-3 months for best flavor.
You can use the vanilla extract straight from the jar and replenish the alcohol as needed. Continue using the same vanilla beans until they start losing their flavor.
So there you have it. Your own homemade vanilla extract that you know exactly what went into it.